PLEASE NOTE: ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, THEN YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO PUT YOUR NAME ON IT.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Circus Chimera Won't Tour 2008

Yes, I know, long time no post. I managed to survive NaNoWriMo and my writing blog then the holiday season. Quite literally, it has been two months since I've even thought about Without A Net. It is time to get back to it. As any other writer will tell you, there are plenty of ideas in my head, and plenty of new projects I could start, but I really need to finish this one before I get any further away from it.

So, to get back into the swing, I'm catching up on my Circus Vern emails. Vern emails out all kinds of interesting tidbits about circus and performers and tours. Every email is chock-full of info that I can use both in my novel and in my blog. Since I am also about two months behind on reading Circus Vern, as well, it is taking me a while to catch up. But one particular entry caught my attention, and I read it, even though it was out of the order of what I was reading.

Circus Chimera, based in Hugo, Oklahoma, will not be touring this year. The reason is not gas prices, insurance rates, or lack of sponsors. The reason is that Chimera can no longer legally hire Mexican workmen to travel with the circus. A change in the H2B visa application process and number caps has virtually assured that Chimera, and virtually no other circus, can hire temporary Mexican workers on legal visas. These workers are the ones that set up the tents, feed and care the animals, run the concessions trailers, drive the trucks, and do all manner of physical labor. They are paid a reasonable sum, about $550 a week, for this work. They definitely work hard, and get little sleep at night. They are certainly worth more than they are being paid, but the pay is not terrible, either. Many of these Mexican workers spend 8 months or more of the year traveling with a circus like Chimera, and return to Mexico and their families for the remainder of the year. If they can get work in Mexico, it pays very poorly and is intermittent. Circus work gives them a reasonable income. Chimera hires up to 50 of these types of legal workers every season.

What I find a bit strange is that American men and women don't want to make $550 a week and travel the country for 8 or more months. Yes, the work is hard, but many local laborers don't make $550 a week, and on the circus, your meals and lodging are provided! If you have your own method of travel such as an RV, then you usually also receive mileage payments from the circus for your travel. It's not a bad wage for an honest day's work.

It saddens me that circuses will be some of the "collateral damage" from the immigration crackdown. What is even more sad is that these were legal workers, brought it to work a limited amount of time, at a specific job, under a sponsored employer, and then returned to Mexico when they were done. Many circuses may have no choice but to start employing illegal labor in order to stay in operation, or simply give up and close down entirely. This will potentially put thousands of people out of work, and remove a staple of summer entertainment from our communities.

That is probably the saddest thought of all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad indeed. We shall miss the show here in Santa Fe, New Mexico this year. Hopefully, this situation will change.

Anonymous said...

I WAS WORKING ON THAT CIRCUS CHIMERA, AS A WORKFORCE MAN, AND I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT THE CIRCUS LIFE IS AMAZING!. IT'S TRUE THE JOB IS HARD, THE HARDEST I KNOW, BUT IT'S ALSO TRUE, THAT IT GIVES YOU A LOT OF SATISFACTIONS, WHEN YOU SEE THE FACES OF THE PEOPLE, HAVING FUN, ASTONISHING, SMILING, AND LAUGHING WITH THE SHOW, BUT SADDLY ... THE PAID, IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK. IS LESS THAN THE HALF. HOPE YOU HAVE SOME TIME TO INVESTIGATE THAT. PS. IM MEXICAN.

Anonymous said...

I worked with Circus Chimera around 2004. You said up to "50 of these types of legal workers every season"? Try more like up to 100! And, the job was a 24/7 affair with less than the pay you mentioned. I was one of the lowest paid people there and I was making less than 200 a week. But, I loved the travel. It was overall a great experience. I wonder if they're still touring?