PLEASE NOTE: ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, THEN YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO PUT YOUR NAME ON IT.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My slip is showing

My lack of confidence sometimes rears it's ugly head and gives me great misgivings about my work. This time it was an off-the-cuff remark someone made on the NaNoWriters email group. We had been discussing Water for Elephants and someone said that it was an interesting story but that the writing was "average." All I know is that as I read, I was hooked...I almost couldn't put the book down until I finished it. If that was "average" writing, then I'm in trouble.

So I worry about my little novel. Is my writing also going to be considered "average?" Gads. I am not average. At least, I don't want to be!! I want my story to grab my reader and pull them in and get them to not want to put the book down. I had thought up until now that my first 50 pages or so are "done" as far as I'm concerned. But now I'm not so sure. There's not much action in those first pages. At least no much action that can get people excited.

Hmmm.

If I could just finish the story, they I could go back and fix/hack/change. I keep getting distracted!!

No comments: